Mar 30, 2010

A Brief Interruption in Our Regular Programming

So, apparently I've been spotted by a lawyer, or the RIAA, or somebody, because Blogger has pulled several posts for DMCA violations. Obviously, I didn't expect to never have to take anything down, but I've tried to be fairly certain the stuff I post is out of print. But whatever. They could have just emailed me, and I would have taken it down, like I offer to in the sidebar. From what I've read, Blogger tends to just delete your blog without warning if you get three DMCA complaints. I've really enjoyed doing this, but I don't know if it would be worth the hassle to start over. I'm assuming my best option is to try and not be noticed in the first place. I've seen the albums that got dinged on countless other blogs, so I'm wondering how they stayed in the free and clear. I'm working on renaming all my files so that you wouldn't be able to find them just by doing a mediafire search, and running all the links through anonymizer, but I don't know how effective any of that will be.

Any other bloggers out there with suggestions? How do you stay hassle free?

Update: This is just getting weird. I reposted the review of the Passions album without any download available, and they sent me another DMCA notice. I don't get it. Anyway, I just deleted the whole post.

2 Blurts:

simon said...

Having read this I thought I'd see if I could download it elsewhere. Yep easy enough.

So the DMCA Notice: a) seems rather random/ineffectual b) intrigued me into downloading it and c) suggests the music industry is still clueless.

Makes me want to start a blog. But then it wouldn't be as good as this one.

Egnu Cledge said...

I know, right? Michael & Miranda had never even been reissued on CD. It's been out of print since its first vinyl run. I guess it's just a matter of luck.

Blurt!